Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Teaching Blogs

I'm sure I'm not the only one out there who questions the academic value in using blogs for student writing assignments.

On the one hand, as I write this post, I am cognisant of the fact that I may have any number of readers looking on; judging my writing, spelling and sentence structure, as well as my thoughts and ideas.

On the other hand, blogs posts, comments and replies are rife with spelling and grammar mistakes, and often are simply unintelligible! Too often blogs are used as opportunities to vent and spew.

If kids are going to use blogs in spite of whether or not we learn about them in school, why not focus our energy on teaching them the proper sentence structure, grammar and spelling the blogs don't value? Why not focus the energy on teaching how to build a proper thesis statement?

There will always be time for kids to blog weather we intervene or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment